Wednesday, August 13, 2008

a day in Shirakawa





It was not planned earlier. Though I did thought of visiting Shirakawa before, but I have never done much 'homework' nor seriously planned the trip before coming to Takayama. I realized I was too ignorance or taking things too easy when I talked to the Chinese couple (from Penang, Malaysia). They told me they have done all the necessary research before they come to Japan. (Most probably because I did not have the luxury of time as they had, and I did not want to stress myself with a fix and close itinerary. Well, they are two of them, and I am just myself, and my itinerary, if a detailed one, would be pages and pages, as mine would be a 3 weeks itinerary).

Maybe it was destined, mean for me to visit Shirakawa on the 13th August - in view of my indecisive attitude. I was not very determine of visiting Shirakawa, as my priority has always be Takayama, and even Takayama I couldn't effort to see much in just few days, what more going to Shirakawa?

Occasionally, I did thought of visiting Shirakawa, but I was thinking maybe going there on the 14th August, after check-in at Alfa-1. Somehow, shifting room really put me off. I could not imagine to leave my baggage in an unattended locker room for almost a day, and travel about 100 kilometer away from it.

Now I see the reasons God put me at 2 different hotels at Takayama. I was very upset when I found out that I need to change hotel because all rooms in Washington Plaza Hotel was fully booked from 13th August onwards (OBON Festival in Japan) that I had to get another room at Alfa-1 Hotel for the 13th and 14th nights, which no more room on 15th August onwards too (or I would stay for 15th August too).

I checked-out from Washington Hotel Plaza 5 minutes before 10am. I had no specific plan of where to go or what to do while waiting for 3pm check-in at Alfa-1. All this while I was thinking of just walking around Takayama. Of course I need to get my big baggage locked at the coin locker - it's a burden to walk around with. When I walked out from the locker room, suddenly I thought of getting some information on bus trip to Shirakawa, maybe I could have a day trip to Shirakawa tomorrow, or who knows- today, while waiting here.

I thougth it was as simple as taking any bus to any place nearby - just hop in the bus and drop at in the intended destination, and hop in again for the return trip. May never mention anything about bus reservation seat too. The officer at Takayama Tourist Information Center was very friendly, he handed me a copy of the bus schedule and a map of Shirakawa-go. After a glance at the bus schedule, I headed for the bus ticketing counter to purchase a return ticket. Is is 4,300 YEN just for 2 x 50 minutes ride! After obtaining tickets, I kept the bus schedule in my beg. 

The bus arrived few minutes before 10.50am. The Chinese couple from Penang said the bus is the type of none reservation seat. I listened and took it for granted. I should have read in detail the bus schedule given to me - I was careless and though all buses are of 'none reservation' type, as in Malaysia. Our bus set off sharp at 10.50am. It was a smooth ride, Japan has really good roads and the bus ride was like gliding in the air. There are so many tunnels along the way of this 50 minutes ride - there are about 13 tunnels and the longest is about 11 kilometer. I don't mean to overly exaggerate, but I would conclude the 50 minutes ride as 'the experience of in and out a series of tunnels' - as the bus ride under tunnels was about 35 minutes of the total 50 minutes riding time on road.

I was quite shocked to find out that Shirakawa is actually a very tiny village nestles on a small plain next to Shokawa River. There were so many tourist walking around and taking pictures at almost every direction. I was one of them. As usual, I snapped at anything attracted me, besides countless pictures on the Ogi-machi gassho style villege houses. 

I had to end my photography session at about 1.30pm when my camera battery started to get weak. In view that there was not much I could do at Shirakawa besides taking pictures, I decided to return to Takayama taking the same bus as the Chinese couple intended to (before which I was thinking of taking the last bus back to Takayama).

It was shocking when I first saw the schedule displayed at the bus parking lot - at about 1.45pm, that the 3.20pm express bus is 'all reservation seats'. Upon inquiry, I was told to do make reservation at the adjacent Information Center. Nevertheless, too late to find out, that all seats were already fully booked (except for the 6pm one - meaning I didn't even realized that I should make reservation for it too). There is one bus at 4.20 pm and another one at 5.20pm respectively but they are the 'none reservation' type, but I have become skeptical of taking these kind of buses now (in view that I don't know which are the buses, where to wait, where to queue and if I could get a seat - so many people, and it's on a first come first serve basis).

So I have no other choice but to play safe, I booked for the last bas (6pm one) which is the only one left and it's the last bus of the day.



No comments: